Re: I Cannot Start the X Server

Jon TURNEY wrote:
From ProcMon it looks like /tmp/.tX0-lock is being deleted before it is moved.

Specifically, it is being opened with options: Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Non-Directory File, Delete On Close

The file is then closed and re-opened and the re-open fails because it no longer exists.

Thanks for the information.

As you can see from LockServer() function in http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/tree/os/utils.c, the sequence of
actions should be

open(tmp)
write()
close()
link(tmp,lock)
unlink(tmp)

and the failure seems to be that the link() doesn't succeed. So having the file "delete-on-close" does explain what is seen.

Any insight into why "delete-on-close" is being requested?

Actually, looking into this a bit more, 'delete-on-close' is used for the unlink operation, so I'm not sure what to make of what you are telling me.

Is there any chance you could provide the relevant section of the ProcMon output, and the output of 'strace Xwin' ?