Re: R: starxwin.bat always "misfires" the xterm once - it works!

--On Monday, February 16, 2009 17:40:15 +0100 Franz di Coccio wrote:

Marco,

your suggestion to insert

%CYGWIN_ROOT%\bin\sleep 4

before the xterm launch instruction

%RUN% xterm -e /usr/bin/bash -l

in starxwin.bat did the trick!
Thanks a lot! Grazie!

PS That's a weird behaviour, anyway... I wonder why the pause is needed
only for the first execution after the system boot. Whatever... Now it
works :)

The problem seems to be the one that prompted the thread that contains this message:
<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2005-04/msg00018.html>

As I understand it, the process that starts the X server finishes before the X server is ready to accept connections. This means that there is then a race condition between the X server start up and the next command in the startup script. If the server is ready first all is well but if not, the next command - xterm - fails to connect and gives up.

--
Owen Rees; speaking personally, and not on behalf of HP.