Re: "-query" not working on cygwin/windows

km4hr wrote:
I can't get "-query" to do anything. I only get a grey screen.

Do you have disable firewalling, or open some ports, or whatever on the
Windows box?
I completely disabled my Windows firewall (I think) but still no joy.

I'm completely illiterate on Windows. I don't care to know anything about
Windows really. I just need cookbook directions to get cygwin/x working.

I've also tried Xming. Same result, no response using "-query".

I have evidence that xdmcp is set up correctly on the linux box. I can open
a terminal window (Alt F2) on the linux box and run "X :1 -query <linux
hostname>". The gdm login window appears and I can log in.

You may well need to adjust the configuration on your linux box to permit remote XDMCP connections.

I'm assuming you've checked the FAQ
http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-xdmcp-query

You should look for instructions specific to your linux distro on configuring XDMCP for remote access, for e.g. you might need allow remote access in tcpwrappers
http://projects.gnome.org/gdm/docs/2.14/security.html#xdmcpaccess

My network connection seems ok between the Windows box and the Linux box.
Telnet works fine.

Are there any log files that might help troubleshoot the problem?

Yes, but they are probably on the linux host. Cygwin/X can't know why the connection is refused.

I've done everything I can think of.