Re: Reproducing the cygwin X problems

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 1:05 PM, Mike Ayers <mike_ayers@tvworks.com> wrote:

>        I can neither confirm nor deny this, as I don't have ClipBook available.

Did you try to run 'clipbrd' through start->run ?

>        I just kill Xwin.exe forcibly in task manager - it takes all X apps with it.

Right.

>  However, the better trick I discovered recently is to click on VNC's taskbar
> icon and close it.  Once it closes, the X applications recover and can
> cut-n-pste with Windows apps.  Also, because VNC is VNC, no setup
> is lost there either - I can reconnect and my console is unharmed.

This too works for me (but as you say, only if I kill the vncviewer
through the context menu that pops up when right clicking its taskbar
icon; strangely, killing it through the top right x doesn't produce a
similar effect). Thanks!

> I suspect the problem here may be contention between the two applications
> that want to share the clipboard.  Our other report implicated Office clipboard,
> which may be doing the same thing..?

I strongly suspect cygwin's xorg is solely to blame: this problem was
created immediately after my last upgrade of cygwin during which I
unwittingly moved from xfree to xorg. (This is only one of the things
that want bad for me; I wish there was a way to return to xfree until
most of the problems are resolved.)

    --Dan