RE: X.org 7.4 dying under Geomview

Lloyd Wood wrote:
> Some improvement is seen in full desktop mode, where geomview doesn't
> crash, and can be used (modulo missing hardware acceleration.)

Since you keep mentioning hardware acceleration at every available
opportunity (it's getting a bit tiresome now), I thought I should point
out that the XWin_GL server was only ever released as an experimental
package.  It is therefore NOT a regression to have no hardware
acceleration in the current release.  Yaakov's announcement for the
first
X11R7 release specifically said there was no hardware acceleration yet,
so you can't claim that you weren't warned.

The experimental version was one of the last things released by the
maintainer at the time, so no further work was done on it to bring it
into the main branch.

If acceleration matters so much to you, I'm sure Yaakov and Jon would
welcome patches to enable it ;-)

The source for the experimental version isn't available via setup.exe,
and I haven't been able to locate the source elsewhere.  Since the
original package is still available (even if obsolete), I thought that
the GPL insisted that the source was similarly available.  I would like
to take a diff of the two X11R6 server packages, with a view to merging
the changes into the current, much changed, source, but without access
the source for both accelerated and unaccelerated, this is impossible.

Does anyone know where one might find the source package for
xorg-x11-xwin-gl-6.8.99.901-1?  I've tried the Cygwin Time Machine, but
it appears to be down.

Phil
--

This email has been scanned by Ascribe PLC using Microsoft Antigen for Exchange.