Re: Reproducing the cygwin X problems

Dan Tsafrir wrote:
On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 1:05 PM, Mike Ayers wrote:
I can neither confirm nor deny this, as I don't have ClipBook available.

Did you try to run 'clipbrd' through start->run ?

I just kill Xwin.exe forcibly in task manager - it takes all X apps with it.

Right.

 However, the better trick I discovered recently is to click on VNC's taskbar
icon and close it.  Once it closes, the X applications recover and can
cut-n-pste with Windows apps.  Also, because VNC is VNC, no setup
is lost there either - I can reconnect and my console is unharmed.

This too works for me (but as you say, only if I kill the vncviewer through the context menu that pops up when right clicking its taskbar icon; strangely, killing it through the top right x doesn't produce a similar effect). Thanks!

I suspect the problem here may be contention between the two applications
that want to share the clipboard.  Our other report implicated Office clipboard,
which may be doing the same thing..?

Dan & Mike,

Thanks very much for this information on the clipboard problems. I've been able to reproduce something similar to the problems you describe, so I will spend some time trying to fix it.

It seems likely that this clipboard contention between multiple applications might behave differently on machines with multi-core processors (which I don't have the capability to test on), so can you indicate if you are using single-core or multi-core processor?