Re: "-query" not working on cygwin/windows

How do know which which ports are open on a Windows PC?

I need ports 177/UDP and 6000-6006/TCP open for xdmcp "-query". (Or so I
understand. I can't find any clear instructions on this.)

At cygwin shell prompt I enter "netstat -na |grep 600*"
I get this:
UDP    0.0.0.0:6000   *:*
UDP    0.0.0.0:6001   *:*
UDP    0.0.0.0:6002   *:*
..etc..

"netstat -na | grep 177" returns nothing.

I get the above responses whether my Windows firewall is on or off.

Also, why does netstat say UDP in the above responses? I specifically
enabled these ports as TCP in the Windows firewall configuration screen.

I configured port 177 just like ports 6000-6005. But it never shows up in
"netstat -na". Why?

Do I have to reboot the computer to activate changes made in the Windows
firewall configuration?

Come on, there must be a Windows networking expert out there somewhere?

thanks,