Re: X server fails to start on Vista

And make sure the icon isn't hidden (I set Vista to always show the X Windows icon).

Paul

Larry Hall (Cygwin X) wrote:
Kim Goldov wrote:
I downloaded Cygwin-X per the instructions in
http://x.cygwin.com/docs/ug/setup-cygwin-x-installing.html

When selecting "Cygwin-X -> XWin Server" in the start menu, X does not
start and I get the following /var/log/XWin.0.log ...

/usr/bin/XWin -multiwindow -clipboard -silent-dup-error

ddxProcessArgument - Initializing default screens
winInitializeDefaultScreens - w 1280 h 1024
winInitializeDefaultScreens - Returning
_XSERVTransSocketINETCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener() failed
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: server already running

Fatal server error:
Cannot establish any listening sockets - Make sure an X server isn't
already running

And you're sure there is no X-server running already? Is there an icon for it in the right corner of the task bar?