Re: Windows 7 RC1 and Cygwin 1.7

On May 15 23:18, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 01:22:23PM -0700, Mike Ayers wrote:
> >P.S.  That was speculation.  Hopefully someone will have a real answer
> >soon.
>
> This was already discussed in the main cygwin list.  There is a
> workaround in the latest version of Cygwin 1.7.x.
>
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2009-05/msg00477.html

That's not a workaround for the problem with consoles popping up, but a
workaround for a W7 x64 specific problem.  There's a bug in the W7 x64
console code (which appears to be mostly rewritten in W7 anyway) which
breaks DLL initialization in child processes which have no copy of the
original console handles from console startup anymore.  This bug has been
reported upstream and is marked as being resolved, which hopefully
means it will be fixed in the final W7 release.

As for the console windows popping up, thats a generic bug in the new
console code in W7, affecting 32 and 64 bit versions.  For some reason
the AllocConsole call does not honor the fact that the application
switched to another active WindowStation.  Thus, console windows which
are meant to be hidden in another, hidden WindowStation, are wrongly
created on the desktop of the original, visible WindowStation.

I reported this bug upstream as well, but unfortunately I got the reply
that this bug won't be fixed in this Windows release.  I'm still trying
to convince Microsoft that this is a serious problem, though.

Corinna

Red Hat