Re: AltGr sometimes generates Control_L

Jon TURNEY <jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk> writes:

> Hannu Koivisto wrote:
>
> Hmm...  can I see the first few lines of your /var/log/Xwin.0.log,
> please, so I can see what keyboard layout windows is reporting and X
> is using.

The only keyboard related lines I can see are around line 36 and
they are:

(--) 16 mouse buttons found
(--) Setting autorepeat to delay=250, rate=31
(--) winConfigKeyboard - Layout: "0000040B" (0000040b)
(--) Using preset keyboard for "Finnish" (40b), type "4"

>> But a bigger problem is that AltGr sometimes generates Control_L
>> in addition to ISO_Level3_Shift, which makes Emacs (which I run
>> from a Linux machine remotely over X) quite unhappy.  For example,
>> when I'm trying to enter "}", which in Finnish layout is done by
>> AltGr+0, Emacs complains that C-} is undefined.
>
> Hmm.. in fact, I think a Ctrl-L is generated for every AltGr keypress
> by Windows.  The X server contains special code to eat these
> keypresses, but it seems this is not working as reliably as it should
> be.

Interesting.  And odd :)

> It would be useful to know if you have TweakUI installed, as comments
> in the code indicate and FAQ 5.1.7 indicate that did cause problems
> with this AltGr handling which are thought to be fixed..

I don't have TweakUI installed.

>> I've seen earlier complaints about the same problem dating back to
>> 2005 but nothing that would help me solve this problem.
>
> Links, please

I actually simply read the mails using my news reader (I'm reading
this list via gmane) and I don't have them around anymore, but
gmane searchs finds something:
<http://search.gmane.org/?query=altgr&group=gmane.os.cygwin.xfree>

--
Hannu