Re: Proposed patch to system.XWinrc

On 6/17/2009 3:17 PM, Jon TURNEY wrote:
+       emacs   exec    "bash -l -c /usr/bin/emacs"
        notepad exec    notepad
        xload   exec    "xload -display %display%"  # Comment
 }

The most important part of this is changing the way emacs is called; the original version didn't work at all for me (i.e., emacs didn't start). This might be related to the fact that I've installed the emacs-23 packages, which use the alternatives system:

/usr/bin/emacs -> /etc/alternatives/emacs
/etc/alternatives/emacs -> /usr/bin/emacs-X11.exe

The command lines for menu items are just supplied to execl('/bin/sh -c ...') after a fork, so it should have no problem following symlinks, and a bare "emacs" works for me (I tested 23.0.92 under Cygwin 1.7)

It turns out that I was using a modified startxwin.bat that didn't set up the path correctly. So now it works for me too. Nevertheless, I prefer "bash -l -c /usr/bin/emacs" so that the bash initialization files are processed before emacs starts. For various reasons, I want the environment inside emacs to be the same as the usual bash environment. I suspect that most emacs users would want that, but I don't really know.

Ken