Re: [1.7] Socket problems after xorg-server update

On 6/28/2009 2:17 PM, Jon TURNEY wrote:
Ken Brown wrote:
After I upgraded to xorg-server-1.6.0-10, XWin.exe exited immediately
with the following error message in the log file:

_XSERVTransSocketOpenCOTSServer: Unable to open socket for inet6

Although it's clear as mud, this message should not be a fatal error, just a warning.
[...]
After running startxwin.bat, it takes about 20 seconds for the X icon to appear in the taskbar. I guess that's related to the socket problems reported in the log.

This is possible if it's trying some IPv6 address autoconf or something.

I guess in the first place I'd suggest you try adding '-nolisten inet6' and see if that makes a difference to your startup time, then uninstall IPv6 and see if you can start the server at all with that flag.

Adding that flag cuts the startup time down to 1 or 2 seconds (and the error messages are gone from the log file). I then uninstalled IPv6, and XWin.exe died with no error message. Here's the entire log file:

----------------------------------
Welcome to the XWin X Server
Vendor: The Cygwin/X Project
Release: 1.6.0.0 (20090401)
Contact: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
XWin was started with the following command line:

/usr/bin/XWin -multiwindow -clipboard -silent-dup-error
 -nolisten inet6

ddxProcessArgument - Initializing default screens
winInitializeDefaultScreens - w 1400 h 1050
winInitializeDefaultScreens - Returning

I reinstalled IPv6 and I'm back in business. So the bottom line on my system is that I need to have IPv6 installed in order to run the X server, and I need to tell the X server not to use IPv6 in order to get a reasonable startup time. Strange!

Ken