Re: trouble with fonts

On 22/07/2009 17:53, Bert Thomas wrote:
Hi all,

Can you please have a look at this picture:

http://intern.brothom.nl/x-trouble.JPG

It shows the trouble I'm experiencing.

Perhaps I'm using the wrong terminology, but if I search on google I
can't find anything usefull.

http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-where-are-my-fonts

I suspect that installing some fonts might solve your problem.

Fonts of certain programs (QT) appear as square blocks.

The programs are running on a remote machine over a putty x11 tunnel.
The "eagle" program you see in the background runs on another remote
machine over another putty tunnel. That program behaves as expected.

Hmm, yes. It looks like that is using the server-side built-in font successfully, whereas the Qt applications would be using client-side fonts.

I don't know quite why this isn't working correctly. I wonder if the character encodings aren't installed unless non-built in fonts are installed, and if that might cause this...