Re: Often lose window decoration when restore from standby

On 13/07/2009 20:35, KARR, DAVID (ATTCINW) wrote:
I often find that after I restore from Standby, I see an odd symptom,
in that the Emacs window no longer has any window decorations. The edge
of the Emacs menu bar is the edge of the window. If I kill the Emacs
process and start it again from the shortcut, even that doesn't fix
it. What fixes it is killing the Xwin process, rerunning startxwin.bat,
and then rerunning Emacs.

I assumed that this meant you resume from standby with X server and emacs running and see this behaviour, but I'm having a little difficulty reconciling that with the log below, so can you clarify if I've understood correctly.

This might be caused by the internal WM thread not being able to talk to
the server anymore after a resume, but I would have thought that would
cause the whole process to terminate...

Well, in fact it seems that this isn't treated as a fatal error, but perhaps it should be...

Can I see a /var/log/Xwin.0.log, please?

Attached is the latest XWin.0.log, after I noticed the window decorations gone again. I'm not sure if it's happening with other X apps. This is the only one I use right now.

Thanks.

Hmm... well, this is not as easy as it might be to interpret (I need to find my patch to add timestamps to the log and make it work properly...), but this looks like the multiwindow mode internal WM client isn't able to connect to the X server at all.

winMultiWindowXMsgProc - DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
winInitMultiWindowWM - DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
winInitMultiWindowWM - Could not open display, try: 1, sleeping: 5
winMultiWindowXMsgProc - Could not open display, try: 1, sleeping: 5
winInitMultiWindowWM - Could not open display, try: 2, sleeping: 5
winMultiWindowXMsgProc - Could not open display, try: 2, sleeping: 5
winInitMultiWindowWM - Could not open display, try: 3, sleeping: 5
winMultiWindowXMsgProc - Could not open display, try: 3, sleeping: 5
winInitMultiWindowWM - Could not open display, try: 4, sleeping: 5
winMultiWindowXMsgProc - Could not open display, try: 4, sleeping: 5
winInitMultiWindowWM - Could not open display, try: 5, sleeping: 5
winMultiWindowXMsgProc - Could not open display, try: 5, sleeping: 5
winInitMultiWindowWM - Failed opening the display.  Exiting.
winMultiWindowXMsgProc - Failed opening the display.  Exiting.

Normally you should get lines like:

winInitMultiWindowWM - DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
winMultiWindowXMsgProc - DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
winInitMultiWindowWM - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the display.
winMultiWindowXMsgProc - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the display.

So I'm a bit baffled as to how your windows are getting decorated at all...