Re: trouble with fonts

On 24/07/2009 10:29, Bert Thomas wrote:
Can you be a bit more specific about the nature of the remote host
with applications which have this problem? Have you seen the
applications render their fonts correctly on other remote X servers?

I installed the X server package on the remote machine and that solved the problem. It's pretty silly, as the remote machine might not even have a physical screen attached, but it solved the problem. I assume because the X application I'm running uses fonts from a local source I guess?

Exactly. One could describe this as package dependency problem with the unnamed distro you have on the remote machine, if it doesn't ensure that the fonts an application needs are installed when the application is...

I don't understand this fully. I've red somewhere that X applications
use a font server. Do they connect to this font server over the same
connection as the X server? Thus, if I use a putty X tunnel, does that
tunnel provide a path to the font server as well?

Font servers are deprecated, and I don't think can be used for client-side fonts. I think you have arrived at the correct solution already by arranging for the correct fonts to be installed on the host where the application is running.