Re: Problems starting "rxvt" from startxwin.bat

On 01/09/2009 12:58, Phil Betts wrote:
Jose Luis wrote:
I can start "xterm" from startxwin.bat:

%RUN% xterm -e /usr/bin/bash -l

but no "rxvt":

%RUN% rxvt -bg white -fg black -e /bin/bash

although it can be started from command line:

          jlfdiaz@JLFDIAZWXP ~
          $ rxvt -bg white -fg black -e /bin/bash&

Why does rvxt starting from startxwin.bat fail?

This is almost certainly a timing issue. The line in the batch file that starts the server uses %RUN% to start it in the background. This means that the following commands in the batch file may execute before the X server has completed (or even started) its initialisation.

Argh, yes.

I suspect that the reason the two terminals behave differently is
that, xterm tries to connect to the server a number of times before
giving up, whereas rxvt gives up at the first failure.

Because the time taken to initialise the X server can vary, rather
than using just sleep, I have added the following:

REM wait up to 30 seconds for the X server
set /a COUNT=0
:WAITFORX
   checkx -d %DISPLAY%
   if not errorlevel 1 goto FINISHOFF
   set /a COUNT+=1
   if %COUNT% GEQ 30 goto NOX
   echo Waiting for X on display %DISPLAY% ...
   sleep 1
goto WAITFORX

:NOX
echo WARNING: X doesn't appear to have started
exit /B 1

:FINISHOFF

Jon/Yaakov, could this be added to the distributed startxwin.bat? Perhaps the warning could be extended to include instructions to check the log.

Yes, this needs fixing.

But DOS batch scripts make me sad, so I was thinking that I could just replace the contents of startxwin.bat with something like "%RUN% startxwin.sh"

Is there a reason why we can't do 'checkx -d %DISPLAY% -t 30' rather than counting up to 30 ourselves?

This also adds run2 as a dependency of the xinit package which owns these scripts.

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer