Help with xfce4 on Cygwin/X

Hello,

I've subscribed over at Xfce user's mailing list but wanted to start
here before asking there...

I'm using cygwin-1.7 and the 1.6 Xserver.  Previously I've tried to
use the fluxbox (built fine but won't start b/c of missing shared
libs) and used wmaker but it was dull.
I've only used the X-Server for GNU emacs.
I was thrilled when I figured out how to correctly install packages
from the cygwinports project and got pretty far along with xfce4.
I was hoping to sort out some issues (described below) and learn more
about the limitations/best practices of the available packages
(starting with xfce4).  Thanks in advance for any assistance.  I've
looked in the FAQ's http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html but
haven't found any answers.I  copied the xfce4 auto-generated .config
directory to my cygwin $HOME/.config but configuring xfce4 in Linux
seems tricky enough without having to add in the cygwin layer...here's
how I've started xfce4:
I installed the necessary packages from the mirror and can have used 3
ways to start xfce4:

1) Using a .bat file with (in addition to the usual sets and cleanup stuff):

%RUN% XWin -clipboard -silent-dup-error
%RUN% xterm -e /usr/bin/bash -l
startxfce4

2) Using a .bat file with:
%RUN% XWin -keyhook -clipboard -silent-dup-error
%RUN% xfdesktop

3) ?Firing up a normal cygwin shell and using 'startxfce4'

RESULTS:
#1 gives best results with desktop, bottom panel and icons looking
good. ?Even the splash screen looks good during startup (couldn't find
'Balou Splash Engine' but 'Mice' worked fine.)
#2 loads with missing icons and the bottom panel either cut off or not
#3 Starts the X server and that's it. ?Msgs in cygwin shell indicate
several incompatible requests coming from shell script outlined in FAQ
but that's enough to tell me I don't want to start xfce this way.

Starting xfce4 with choice 1 seems best but there are some issues:
A) ?'Tips and tricks' won't display anything; err msg in (initial
xterm session window which runs throughout xfce session) states:
/bin/sh: fortune: command not found
B) ?Log out icons not working:
?? ? ?4 [main] xfce4-panel 3996 fork: child -1 - died waiting for
longjmp before initialization, retry 0, exit code 0xC0000005, errno 11
????? 4 [main] xfce4-panel 5940 fork: child -1 - died waiting for
longjmp before initialization, retry 0, exit code 0xC0000005, errno 11
C)  Mousepad not installed?

Here's a copy of the xterm session messages after executing startxfce4
(i.e. option #1):
$ startxfce4
/usr/bin/startxfce4: X server already running on display 127.0.0.1:0.0
xrdb:  "Xft.hinting" on line 12 overrides entry on line 6
xrdb:  "Xft.hintstyle" on line 14 overrides entry on line 7
xrdb:  "XTerm*background" on line 28 overrides entry on line 10
xrdb:  "XTerm*foreground" on line 29 overrides entry on line 9
xscreensaver: 10:43:22: couldn't get password of "root"
Agent pid 4776
sh: /usr/bin/iceauth: No such file or directory

** (xfce4-session:2164): WARNING **: Failed to setup the ICE authentication data
, session management might not work properly.
xfdesktop[1824]: starting up
xfce4-settings-helper is already running

** (xfce4-session:2164): WARNING **: ICE connection 0x6f74d8 rejected
(xfce4-panel:5912): xfce4-panel-WARNING **: No X-XFCE-{Module,Exec} entry found
in "/usr/share/xfce4/panel-plugins/thunar-tpa.desktop".

(xfce4-panel:5912): xfce4-panel-WARNING **: Failed to create plugin "thunar-tpa"
** (xfce4-session:2164): WARNING **: ICE connection 0x6f74d8 rejected

** (xfce4-session:2164): WARNING **: ICE connection 0x6f74d8 rejected

(xfce4-settings-helper:2080): xfce4-settings-helper-WARNING **: Failed to connec
t to session manager

/bin/sh: fortune: command not found

MCS->Xfconf settings migration complete

QUESTIONS:
What's the best way to end the xfce4 session?  I've been bringing down
the X Server.
Is using the Konqueror web browser my only option on Cygwin/X?

Thanks very much for any assistance or suggestions.

-Will