Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] [1.7] Updated: xorg-server-1.6.4-1

On 10/9/2009 9:56 AM, Jon TURNEY wrote:
On 08/10/2009 22:47, Ken Brown wrote:
On 10/8/2009 5:25 PM, Jon TURNEY wrote:
But looking at PS1 to determine if you have a login shell in your
ancestry doesn't work, as PS1 gets unset by non-interactive bash
shells. (This is something which I have learnt today :-)

So attempting to set PS1 in /etc/profile and inherit it everywhere
isn't going to work.

OK, thanks for the explanation.

I still think you should consider using 'xterm -ls' in system.XWinrc,
because I think most users are going to want to see their usual prompt
when they start an xterm.

I agree that users should get their usual prompt in an Xterm.

This is not a problem limited to X, though: You can demonstrate it just by doing 'bash -c bash'

I believe a solution would be to move the PS1 setting code from /etc/profile to /etc/bash.bashrc, causing it to be set for all interactive shells.

This doesn't quite work, at least with the default bash initialization files. The problem is that /etc/bash.bashrc is invoked by ~/.bash_profile, which is only run in login shells. But setting PS1 in ~/.bashrc seems to work. Alternatively, one could move the code that invokes /etc/bash.bashrc from ~/.bash_profile to ~/.bashrc.

Ken