Re: (strange) problem with xdotool

On 16/10/2009 13:46, Ariel Burbaickij wrote:
Regarding following passage (I do not have much objections to run X
Window in what
you call "rooted" mode just that somehow no Window Manager starts when
I try to run
it):

If you want to start X server and clients (perhaps a window manager) with a single command you need to look at 'man startx'

all it would need to do it
  register the property on the root window and update it, and handle the
  receiving the message and translate it to a WM_ACTIVATE for the target
  window

Yes, for the matter of exercise it would be interesting to try to
write a patch, just
what is meant with "root window" here in rootless environment and where the code
is supposed to go, i.e. where should I look at in order to try to
graft the needed additional
code  there?

The root window exists (it's required by the X protocol), you just can't see it normally. If you untick the "Hide Root Window" option on the tray menu after you've launched some clients you should be able to see what's going on.

http://x.cygwin.com/docs/cg/cygwin-x-cg.html

You probably want to start looking at winMultiWindowXMsgProc() in hw/xwin/winmultiwindowwm.c

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer