Re: X11R7.5 and C.UTF-8

2009/10/28 Thomas Dickey:
>> X11R7.5 doesn't like the (default) locale C.UTF-8. ÂIf I start the server
>
> technically speaking, there's "no such locale" as C.UTF-8,
> so I'd not expect portable code to accept it ("C" and "UTF-8" are
> mutually exclusive).

Technically speaking, portable code should make no assumption
whatsoever about the locale string. The meaning of that string is up
to the OS, and portable code should be using POSIX interfaces such as
the multibyte conversion functions or nl_langinfo to get at its
meaning.

"C.UTF-8" is a language-neutral locale with a UTF-8 charset. It is
also being introduced by Debain:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=522776.

Xwin 1.6.x had no problem with "C.UTF-8".

Andy