Re: Problem installing cygwin/X on vista sp2 64bit

On 11/01/2009 10:35 PM, Massimo Giovannini wrote:
Sorry,it is my first time on this website, and I did not understand
those  links were for me...I thought it was some sort of signature.
Everything seems complicated here and also the language seems very
cryptic..

Acronyms are certainly cryptic, until you understand them. I do go out of my way to actually provide the links to them when I use them, as you noticed.

I went on the bin directory cd C:/cygwin/bin, I typed cygcheck -s -v -r
and still it says command not found.  I manually went in the directory and
the file seems to be there..

I'm getting the feeling that you're not used to Unix/Linux or command-line oriented environments. If that's the case, you may want to rethink about using Cygwin or look up a tutorial or two on Unix/Linux to help you get oriented.

The reason what you typed didn't work is because you are in a directory
which isn't in your path and you didn't say where to find 'cygcheck'.  You
need to do one of the following:

1. Use the fully qualified path (i.e. c:\bin\cygcheck.exe)
2. Use the relative path to specify the current directory (i.e. .\cygcheck.exe)
3. Add c:\bin to your Windows path so you don't have to do either of 1 or 2.

The funny thing is that also ls does not work..

See above. Same problem.

(I deleted all the old messages...is it ok ? I don't understand what I
should do with the TOFU problem..)

Deleting everything can be fine, if there's no critical context.

TOFU, in general, is meant to indicate that it's preferable to trim out anything
that isn't helpful context in your reply and to reply in-line and/or after any
context you keep. In other words, what I'm doing. ;-)

Holliston, MA 01746