'run xterm' fails to open a window

Hi,

2009/11/3 Linda Walsh <cygwin@tlinx.org>:
> 1) to Florent Fievee, (you don't need to answer if you have no good
> ?reason, but if you do, I'm curious as to your reasoning) -- ??Why did you
> copy Ken's complete note as into your response, when you
> ?simply has to say "me too"?

I simply clicked on "reply" button of my webmail. I will not do it again ;-)

> 2) to both Florent and Ken?
>
> ?In addition to Gery Herbozo Jimenez's response and question to you,
> ?( "Have you tried just starting the XWin server first and the the
> ?xterm? it looks like the X server doesn't recognize that line
> ?command." ),
> ?a) Have you tried starting 'xterm' without 'run' ?

Yes, it works without problem but a cmd window remain and that is
annoying. To explain exactly my situation, I have a Windows cmd script
which try to launch a bash script.

------- rxvtwin.cmd ------
@echo on

SET DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0

if defined CYGWIN_ROOT goto :OK
set CYGWIN_ROOT=%~dp0
:OK

SET RUN=%CYGWIN_ROOT%\bin\run -p /usr/bin

SET PATH=%CYGWIN_ROOT%\bin;%PATH%

%RUN% %CYGWIN_ROOT%\bin\bash /usr/local/bin/rxvtwin.sh %*
-------------------------------

I call it in windows shortcut with a "user@host" as parameter and it
launch a rxvt terminal with a ssh session to the host and background
color depending on host.
If instead of "%RUN% %CYGWIN_ROOT%\bin\bash /usr/local/bin/rxvtwin.sh
%*" I launch "%CYGWIN_ROOT%\bin\bash /usr/local/bin/rxvtwin.sh %*", it
works.
So it seems to be really run which has an issue.

> ?b) I see you have started 'Xwin'. ?Do either of you know what display
> ? ? 'XWin' started itself on? ? ? ? ? If you specified no value, it probably
> created the display ":0.0".

Yes my server is running on display 0.0 and I specify it in DISPLAY
environment variable.
?(I specified it in both bash and cmd script since I don't know if
environment is inherited by bash process when I run it)

> ? <Your cygwin path>\bin\bash.exe -c 'DISPLAY=:0 xterm'
>
> ? for cygwin path='C:\cygwin':
>
> ? ? ?C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe -c 'DISPLAY=:0 xterm'
> ? ? ? ?or
> ? ? ?C:\cygwin\bash\bash.exe -c 'xterm -display :0'
> ? for cygwin path= 'C:\': ? ? (my value)
>
> ? ? ?C:\bin\bash.exe -c 'DISPLAY=:0 xterm'
> ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?or
>
> ? ? C:\bash\bash.exe -c 'xterm -display :0'
>
> The above two commands work on WinXP and Vista under the 1.5.x series
> of Cygwin.

It don't work as I expected since what I have explained before.
But I have a little track : My office has given me a new computer and
with the old I had no problem with the same scripts, the difference
between the two is that the old one was Windows XP 32bits and the new
one is Windows XP 64 bits.
I tried first with cygwin 1.5 and I installed also cygwin 1.7 (I have
the same problem in both installation).

Best Regards,

Florent Fievez