Can't read lock file

I have made no alterations/ patches/ amendments and have a completely current [1.7] system.

For all of
   cygwin1.7.61.dll - cygwin1.7.64.dll
the command
   run XWin
fails with a reference to /vat/log/XWin.0.log which reads
   Can't read lock file /tmp/.X0.lock

But when reverting to
cygwin1.7.60.dll
everything goes ahead smoothly and correctly and I can start a X terminal etc.

Q1. Is it still the case that this problem is "not well understood" as in this reference?
http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-cant-read-lock-file

(My experiments with possible cause/ cure are confounded because on Machine 1 I have NTFS filesystems but lack administrator rights and on Machine 2 where I am Administrator, all filesystems are FAT32.)

Q2. Is there anything obvious in the progression from cygwin1.7.60.dll to cygwin1.7.61.dll that might explain why the start command run XWin works with 1.7.60 and fails with 1.7.61?

Finally

Q3. Confession: I am completely confused by all recent posts about LANG, locale and all the rest. Are fiddling with LANG or applying patches such as described at
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2009-11/msg00071.html
fixes intended to address problems starting XWin?

Thank you.

Fergus

PS Not quite "finally". Can I please ask a 4th question:

Q4 Why are questions about X specifically directed to a different mailing list? Apart from occasional high-frequency dialogue as at present, posts about X are (or seem to me to be) no more frequent than posts about grep or ls or chmod or ... . The "main" Cygwin list has a much higher readership and posts directed there might generate many useful hints, tips, experiences, fixes or even solutions?