Re: Cygwin/x window no longer appears

On 12/11/2009 23:04, Mike Ayers wrote:
From: cygwin-xfree-owner@cygwin.com [mailto:cygwin-xfree-
owner@cygwin.com] On Behalf Of Olivia Cheronet
Sent: Thursday, November 12, 2009 2:16 PM

I have recently started to work with Cygwin/X.
Until now, I have been starting Cygwin/X by using startxwin.bat in the
Cygwin bash shell. Everything seemed to be working fine. However, it
has now stopped working...
When I type "startxwin.bat" in the Cygwin shell, the normal
startxwin.bat - starting on Windows NT/2000/XP/2003
appears. Yet, the window which used to appear no longer does. I am
really not too sure what to do about this, given that I have not
(consciously!) modified anything.
I have installed Cygwin (and Cygwin/x) very recently, and have tried to
reinstall the latter using Cygwin's setup.exe, but to no effect.

Try this:

http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2009-11/msg00071.html

or set your LOCALE to en_US.UTF-8. You may need to install CJK fonts if things work but are sluggish.

If you read the cygcheck output which Olivia kindly provided, you will see that she is running cygwin 1.5, with Xserver 1.5.3, so these recent breakages relating to Xserver 1.7.1 are unlikely to be the cause of her problems.

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer