Re: Problem with new xinit - console window doesn't open (but bash starts)

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009, Jon TURNEY wrote:

On 20/11/2009 04:07, Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:
More info:

If I run startxwin.bat from a CMD.exe command line, the bash console
xterm opens just fine. I only have problems starting it from the shortcut.

This is typical of the current issue we have where 'run xterm' blocks when xterm tries to output 'Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion'

Any one of:
- installing the CJK fonts
- having 'tty' in the CYGWIN environment variable
- having the LANG environment set to a non-UTF-8 locale
should work around this problem

...or perhaps setting xterm's menuLocale resource to "C"

Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion

This is xterm warning that the fontset has no fonts for CJK locales (as no CJK fonts are installed)

iirc, that's from the Xaw initialization, which asks X11 (library), and _that_ falls into a hole where someone decided to load a fontset.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net