Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: xinit-1.2.0-2

On 29/12/2009 16:27, Charles Wilson wrote:
Sounds like a good idea, but I wish I'd known this was coming before
wasting time on:

* Improve checkX behavior when used as 'barrier' in startxwin.

Sorry about that, Chuck, but this was just the latest of a long string of issues involving these scripts. We've been talking about replacing them for a while, and the recent traffic on the list was enough of an impetus to make me finally stop bandaging the scripts and find a better solution. Plus, we gain argument handling and .startxwinrc, something the scripts would likely never do.

Honestly, this wasn't even checkX's fault, so we weren't expecting you to "fix" it. The real problem here is a corner-case bug in the server; the race condition that checkX was causing was just the trigger. We still need to get to the bottom of that, but in the meantime we have a solution that completely avoids the problem and gives us new features to boot.

Yaakov Cygwin/X