Re: Can't start xterm from Cygwin/X icon in system tray

On 01/01/2010 16:04, Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:
Yes, my startup folder shortcut is:

D:\Cygwin\bin\run.exe /usr/bin/bash.exe -l -c /usr/bin/startxwin.exe

As I've said before, this works properly on my XP SP3 system at work,
but not on my Windows 7 64-bit system at home.

I run Win7 64bit as well and the shortcut WJFFM.

One thing I just realized tonight is that if you use keychain(1) and added the command to your ~/.bash_profile (as suggested in that manpage), AND you use the shortcut to launch XWin without having started a console session first, then the login shell in which we want to launch startxwin will wait indefinitely for your SSH password (which you won't see because we use run.exe). Trying the shortcut again while this occurs should work after a ~30-sec delay.

The fix for that is to test the presence of an interactive shell before running keychain (see bash.info, section 6.3.2):

case "$-" in
*i*) eval `keychain --eval ~/.ssh/id_dsa` ;;
esac

Since you mention it's your home computer that's having issues, I can only guess this might be it. If you're not using keychain, then we'll need to see your 'cygcheck -srv' output and your /var/log/XWin.0.log (as plain-text attachments).

Yaakov Cygwin/X