Re: xterm + mc problem: messed up output when running commands

2010/1/7 Andrew Zhezherun:
> I have a weird problem with the latest Cygwin 1.7. It happens with
> both a fresh install on a Windows 7 machine and with an upgraded
> install of Cygwin on a Windows XP machine. When I execute various
> commands from Midnight Commander when it is running under Cygwin/X
> xterm, e.g. cat, the lines are printed with an offset. For example,
> when I run
>
> cat /etc/X11/app-defaults/XTerm
>
> I get the following output on the screen:

> ÂÂ Â Â ! VT100s and similar terminals recognize escape sequences
> and control
> ÂÂ Â Â Â Â ! characters to which they reply to the host with othe
> r escape sequences,
> ÂÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â ! to provide information. ÂThe "resize" progra
> m uses this feature.
> [...]

I find that mc immediately switches back to the folder view. How do
you keep it on the screen? If I add a 'sleep 3' after the cat, I see
that the lines are arranged as intended, without the staircase effect.

The carriage return after the newline is normally added by the pseudo
terminal driver. This is controlled by the stty onlcr setting.

Andy