Re: How do I start WM?

From: Holger Krull <holger dot krull at gmx dot de>
>I know that. Sorry for being to short with the description.
>The X-Server dies when openbox starts, and it shouldn't do that, even
>without a window manager. But i see this only every tenth attempt to
>start openbox, while the original poster seems to have this every time.
>
>And I changed /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc, no ~/.xinitrc
>
>Interestingly, putting openbox at the end of the start script and doing
>
>exec openbox-session >/tmp/openbox.log 2>&1
>
>seems to stop that, but i haven't tried enough to be sure.

Ugh.  I keep setting off filters of one sort or another.
I can reproduce your finding.  Putting just "openbox &" in my ~/xinitrc does not work.
Putting the "exec openbox-session >/tmp/openbox.log 2>&1" line in works fine for the few minutes I tested.
twm and WindowMaker work fine from a Windows shortcut.
Thanks,
Joe