Re: xterm no longer accepts keyboard input

On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 11:39 PM, Bob Kline <bkline@rksystems.com> wrote:
> Jeff Spirko wrote:
>
>> If you see different results from running startxwin from the command
>> line vs. the icon, you should check to see if you have an old batch
>> file laying around ....
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. ?I looked again for any old scripts which might
> be found by the shell, but there aren't any. ?The difference in behavior may
> be accounted for by the fact that the shortcut doesn't actually have the
> same command line as is recommended by the users' guide, which advises
> running simply /usr/bin/startxwin from a Cygwin shell. ?The command line
> used by the shortcut is instead:
>
> C:\cygwin\bin\run.exe /usr/bin/bash.exe -l -c /usr/bin/startxwin.exe

The icon runs from the Windows environment, so the run.exe and
bash.exe wrapper programs are needed to set up the proper cygwin
environment.  Once you're in a cygwin shell, you already have the
cygwin environment set up.  That's why you don't need to type them in
from the command line.

So, they really should be equivalent.

--
Jeff Spirko   spirko@gmail.com   spirko@lehigh.edu   WD3V   |=>

The study of non-linear physics is like the study of non-elephant biology.