Re: USER/GDI Objects leak with (XWin.exe) Cygwin/X X Server Verion 1.7.6, Build Date 2010-03-18

Any new updates on this?

-- Amal

----- Original Message ----
From: Amal Khailtash <akhailtash@yahoo.com>
To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
Sent: Tue, April 6, 2010 3:05:51 PM
Subject: Re: USER/GDI Objects leak with (XWin.exe) Cygwin/X X Server Verion 1.7.6, Build Date 2010-03-18

Jon,

I rebooted and started XWin.  With one local xterm running the resource usage is:

Image Name    User Objects    GDI Objects
XWin.exe        26                  51

I close the xterm window started with XWin.

Image Name    User Objects    GDI Objects
XWin.exe        22                  46

Then I start a remote Konsole by:

  % ssh -X remote_server /usr/bin/konsole

Image Name    User Objects    GDI Objects
XWin.exe        27                  55
On Konsole window, click on Settings | Font | Medium:

Image Name    User Objects    GDI Objects
XWin.exe        29                  59

Click on Session menu and while the menu is open, move to Edit, then View, Bookmarks,
Settings and Help and click outside to withdraw menu:

Image Name    User Objects    GDI Objects
XWin.exe        39                  79

Click on any menu item and while the menu is open and move cursor to other menu items
a number of (20) times:

Image Name    User Objects    GDI Objects
XWin.exe        241                 483

Keep doing this and you will see the allocated objects keeps increasing and increasing and
they are never released even if I close my Konsole window!

Image Name    User Objects    GDI Objects
XWin.exe        1,120              2,239

If you have a Windows XP that has not been modified to reserved more GDI space, you will start
loosing window titles and menu items until your workstation is unstable and one needs to reboot!

If you need further experiment with my TCL-based program (modelsim) that uses more bitmaps
in its menu items, let me know.  But the fact that the resources keep increasing by just selecting
menu items, it tells me there is serious leak somewhere.

Regards,-- Amal