RE: startxwin/XWin won't start properly

From: Bradley, Mike
Sent: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 10:47 AM
To: 'cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com'
Subject: startxwin/XWin won't start properly

Hi,

All was good, till a couple weeks ago when I added some packages to cygwin, and several packages where also upgraded.? Then xterm response time became very slow.? I tried a second upgrade yesterday, and now I cannot even start an xterm, nor will startxwin start properly.? This is a company computer which has Symantec anti-virus.? I tried disabling that as well.

Here is the most obvious symptom:

% echo $DISPLAY
127.0.0.1:0.0
% /usr/bin/startxwin.exe

waiting for X server to begin accepting connections .
..
giving up.
/usr/bin/startxwin:? Socket type not supported (errno 124):? unable to connect to X server
/usr/bin/startxwin:? No such process (errno 3):? Server error.

Notice the value of $DISPLAY above, which does not match whats in XWin.0.log (it has :0.0).? No idea how/why that happens.?

Thanks,
-Mike