Re: startxwin/XWin won't start properly

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 09:02:34AM -0500, Timares, Brian (Harris) wrote:
>Larry Hall (Cygwin X) wrote:
>>On 6/30/2010 1:07 AM, Bradley, Mike wrote:
>>> OK, I removed my old cygwin installation (the directory which contains/usr,
>>> /bin/, etc.), and re-installed a new version.  I kept the "cygwin_package"
>>> directory, but setup.exe did not remember my previous installation.  In the
>>> past I have had to install cygwin on multiple machines, and it would be nice
>>> to learn a way to have a file which describes the packages I want to install,
>>> rather than having to recall them all.
>>
>>'setup.exe' doesn't remember your previous installations - ones you have
>>removed.  There'd be little call for that kind of functionality.  'setup.exe'
>
>I disagree.  I've had to reinstall cygwin from scratch several times,
>and also have different coworkers who can benefit from cygwin, but
>saying "Go through the long list of groupings, including the even
>longer sublist of packages, ignoring lib*" is not very helpful.  Most
>of my coworkers are not sysadmins or Unix gurus so they look at a lot
>of packages and say "I'll just use puTTY".  And it takes a lot of time.
>But no one wants EVERYTHING, a lot of it is not useful to us.

You misunderstand what Larry is saying.

He is referring to wiping out your installation and then expecting
Cygwin to magically remember what you used to have.

You are talking about having a fixed set of packages to install and
apparently expect that you will be able to use software without actually
investigating how to use it.  If you read the documentation on setup.exe
you'll find how to specify the packages you want on the command line.
If you make a .bat file available with the right packages then all of
the poor non-UNIX-gurus who can't figure out how to pick "openssh" from
a list will be able to just run "pleasedoitforme.bat" .

OTOH, why not use putty if you don't know linux?

cgf