Re: Resizing problem

On 15/07/2010 18:02, Olwe Melwasul wrote:
I installed cygwin/xcygwin 1.7.5 with KDE.

I don't know where you got KDE from, but it's not in the standard cygwin distribution. If you have problems with KDE, perhaps you should try the place you got it from.

I tried clicking on XWin
Server from the Start menue, but nothing happened. I tried startx from
the
cygwin basic terminal. Nothing. After some Google archaeology, I found
someone that had done this:

cd \cygwin\bin
ash
PATH=. rebaseall -v

at the DOS command. Good. It worked. Running startx at the cygwin
command did start a twm session. But how the KDE would run, I couldn't
figure out from any amount of documentation or Googling.

Given the rest of this email, I find it hard to believe that the documentation you read included 'man Xwin' or the Cygwin/X User Guide [1]

If you did, and you found it unclear, I'd welcome your suggestions as to how to improve that documentation.

After some
more Googling, I saw a reference to an Openbox. Guessing along, I got
startx /usr/bin/openbox to give me Openbox. My problem is that I
cannot minimize anything because it goes down below and out of sight.

Nope. What's happening here is that you have no panel/taskbar running, so there is nothing to show minimized applications. Openbox is just a Window Manager.

The XWin container window is sized on start up to my right computer
screen, but when I drag it over to my larger left screen, it can't be
resized.

from 'man XWin': "The display mode can not be changed once the X server has started." We do not currently support resizing the X screen of a running X server.

I suspect Openbox has a default size larger (lower?) and down
in the hidden part is no doubt either a task bar with the minimized
apps or the minimized apps themselves, right?

Wrong, as explained above.

> Alt-Tab only cycles the
Win7 apps, not the XWin session apps, BTW.

This behaviour is by design. [2]

If you want to allow the X server to capture alt-tab key presses, you should read about the -keyhook option in 'man XWin':

"-[no]keyhook: Enable [disable] a low-level keyboard hook for catching special keypresses like Menu and Alt+Tab and passing them to the X Server instead of letting Windows handle them."

And indeed 'startx /usr/bin/openbox-session -- -keyhook' gives you an openbox session where you can switch windows using alt-tab.

It's kind of unfortunate that the default configuration of openbox and the X server interact in this way to make it difficult to work out how to get your minimized applications back, and we could certainly do with some words in the User's Guide about using the WMs we provide, but that would best be written by someone who actually uses them, which isn't me :-)

Actually, I don't need the startx version, I could very well use the
startxwin multi-windows version IF I could get Emacs in shell mode to
do cygwin bash. Starting the X server and then Emacs multi-windows
style gets a shell mode that apparently doesn't see cygwin. I'm
guessing it's using the DOS command.

How can I a) get at the minimized apps? or b) how can I get a
stand-alone X server-run Emacs to see cygwin bash?

[1] http://x.cygwin.com/docs/ug/cygwin-x-ug.html [2] http://x.cygwin.com/docs/ug/using-switching.html

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer