Re: Using the Canadian Multilingual Standard keyboard with WindowsXP

On 13/07/2010 20:30, Young, George wrote:
I tried the patch and am very impressed. My WinXP was set up with
English-Canada and 2 keyboards, Canadian Multilingual Standard and US. When
I ran the cygwin patch, it added English-US with a US Keyboard, and
switched to that.

Thanks for trying it out.

Hmm... this is a rather unfortunate side-effect of loading the US keyboard layout, and there doesn't seem to be a good way of preventing it appearing in the language bar.

I think maybe I should try the alternate approach of handling VK_OEM_8 correctly and trying to work out why the code to discard the spurious Ctrl-L key events isn't always working (it works fine for me)

I've uploaded another build at [1] which tries that, with lots of extra debugging built in. I wonder if you could check if Ctrl-R deadkeys work correctly with that, and also if you could provide me with the output of 'tail -f /var/log/XWin.0.log' and xev from pressing AltGr.

In cygwin, the RightAlt and RightControl do what they're supposed to do
(almost). There still seems to be a small problem with dead key stuff.

When I first run the cygwin server, and press the keys for dead-cedilla
(RtCtrl and =) then c, it just gives c. If I then run xev and stop it, the
dead keys start to work and it gives ç.

I'm afraid I can't reproduce this, I always get a ç, but I may not be doing the right thing. Can you give me some more detailed steps about how you are starting the Xserver, and the application you are typing into?

[1] ftp://cygwin.com/pub/cygwinx/XWin.20100716-git-26e4d8f804b5cfdc.exe.bz2

Good stuff, George R. Young

-----Original Message----- From: Jon TURNEY [mailto:jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk] Sent: July 13, 2010 2:41 PM To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com Cc: Young, George Subject: Re: Using the Canadian Multilingual Standard keyboard with WindowsXP