Re: Resizing problem

On 16 July 2010 15:39, Olwe Melwasul wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 8:50 AM, Jon TURNEY wrote:
>>> I installed cygwin/xcygwin 1.7.5 with KDE.
>>
>> I don't know where you got KDE from, but it's not in the standard cygwin
>> distribution. ÂIf you have problems with KDE, perhaps you should try the
>> place you got it from.
>>
>>> I tried clicking on XWin
>>> Server from the Start menue, but nothing happened. I tried startx from
>>> the
>>> cygwin basic terminal. Nothing. After some Google archaeology, I found
>>> someone that had done this:
>>>
>>> cd \cygwin\bin
>>> ash
>>> PATH=. rebaseall -v
>>>
>>> at the DOS command. Good. It worked. Running startx at the cygwin
>>> command did start a twm session. But how the KDE would run, I couldn't
>>> figure out from any amount of documentation or Googling.
>>
>> Given the rest of this email, I find it hard to believe that the
>> documentation you read included 'man Xwin' or the Cygwin/X User Guide [1]
>>
>> If you did, and you found it unclear, I'd welcome your suggestions as to how
>> to improve that documentation.
>
> I don't think I'd want to try. I'd likely have "too many questions."
>
> And my feelings would either be bolstered by people like Ken Brown who
> answered these initial questions promptly and accurately with
> patience, or trampled rudely and brusquely as is Jon Turney's habit.
> Yes, I've seen other Jon Turney's responses, and they're not winning
> the cygwin cause many friends.

That's both insulting and untrue. Jon's doing a great job maintaining
and supporting one of the most complex pieces of Cygwin, and as far as
I remember, his responses are always helpful and accurate.

You did get answers to your questions, and Jon acknowledged that the
documentation needs improvement, so what exactly are you taking
umbrage at anyway? The suggestion that reading the actual manual
instead of just googling around might have helped?

> I'm a GNU/Linux user who has to teach a course on GNU text/file
> manipulation tools to students who've never seen GNU/Linux and will
> probably not want to install it on their laptops.

You do realise that you don't need Cygwin/X to run a Cygwin console or terminal?

Andy