Re: Problems with display resize over RDP connections

On 29/04/2010 03:49, Raul Acevedo wrote:
Didn't X figure out how to dynamically change its display resolution long
time ago?  (I remember the "good old days" when this really was fixed on
server start up, and the only way to change it was to restart X.)  Isn't
there some way to tell the X server, even if it's via a command line
utility, that the display has been reconfigured?  Modern Linux desktops
certainly let me do this.

It's true that X can handle display resolution changes with the RANDR extension, but support needs to be present in the DDX layer as well, and currently the XWin DDX doesn't have this.

I've been working on some changes to add this support, which seem to work ok and could use some wider testing.

* Add RANDR extension support to XWin DDX.

* In multiwindow or rootless mode handle the WM_DISPLAYCHANGE message sent when monitor resolution or number changes. Use RANDR to update the X screen size to the virtual desktop size (if -multiplemonitors was used) or to the monitor size (if -screen @monitor was used)

* In rooted mode, a new option -resize is added to control resizing mode. When -resize=randr mode is selected, the native window containing the root window has a resizing frame and resizing the frame will use RANDR to change the size of the X screen. Likewise, RANDR changes of X screen size will update the size of the native window containing the root window.

I've uploaded a build including these changes at [1]. Perhaps you could try it out and see if it works for you?

Patches are rather large so they can be found at [2]

[1] ftp://cygwin.com/pub/cygwinx/XWin.20100718-git-c8262c6457efa195.exe.bz2
[2] http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~jturney/xserver/log/?h=jturney-framebuffer-resize

This is definitely over a secure link.  I'm not 100% sure what protocol is
used; I go through a web portal interface, so it's not like I'm running a
VNC/RDP client directly.

Thanks, >
Raul