Re: Slow response to keypresses in xorg-server-1.8.0-1

On 19/07/2010 15:51, Angelo Graziosi wrote:
Simon Marlow wrote:

I use the VirtuaWin virtual-desktop tool, and found that often when
switching to a desktop with XWin windows on it, the windows would
remain blank until I right-clicked on the XWin icon in the tray, when
they would refresh.

Strange. It is more than an year I use VirtuaWin (now 4.2) without problems with X, and I use the not-patched XWin.exe, i.e. that from original 1.8.0-1 package.

Perhaps you have a BLODA[*]?

I have MS Forefront client security, configured to omit the Cygwin directories, but I really doubt that's the problem.

More details about what I do to reproduce the not-refreshing problem (not the blank window problem, that seems to be fixed by the patched XWin binary, and judging by other comments in this thread seems to be a known issue unrelated to VirtuaWin).

 - multiple xterms running on remote machines displaying locally,
   over multiple 'ssh -Y' connections, i.e. I do
      ssh -Y remote-machine xterm

 - windows are on adjacent desktops, using overlapping areas of the
   screen

 - switch between the desktops, note how the windows on the new
   desktop are still displaying the content of the windows on the
   previous desktop.  Alas, it doesn't always happen, but it
   happens a lot.

In VirtuaWin I have "Static taskbar & Z order" set for "On desktop change preserve". I did try using different hiding methods for XWin windows in VirtuaWin, but didn't find anything that worked.

Cheers,
	Simon