Re: Cygwin/X bug? suspend-resume issues

On 22/09/2010 02:27, Henry Tung wrote:
I've encountered an unusual behavior of Cygwin/X on suspend/resume of Windows.
  The server is working fine before suspend, but after the first
suspend-resume cycle, the characters become single pixels. I have screenshots
depicting the effects on an rxvt-unicode window, and an fwbuilder window
forwarded over ssh from an Ubuntu VM (though it seems the mailing list
rejected the attachments, so please let me know if there's a way I can send
them). Windows in existence before the first suspend remain fine after resume,
but only as long as they are open; closing and reopening them produces the
broken state. The attached XWin.0.log is after two suspend/resume cycles; the
two line blocks from each resume seem anomalous (bpp: 0? width: 0? height: 0?).

Thanks for reporting this issue.

Would you mind trying the test snapshot [1] to see if this improves matters?

You'll need to add the '-resize' option to the X server to reproduce your current behaviour (it is erroneously on all the time in multiwindow mode with 1.8.2-1)

If that doesn't help, would you mind uploading a screenshot to your favourite image hosting service?

I saw the stuff about the SIGSEGV, that's quite interesting.  My X server
hasn't segfaulted yet, but considering the usability, it might as well
have.

Since this seems to be related to the resize support added in 1.8.2-1, using setup.exe to revert to 1.8.0-1 should avoid these problems for the moment.

[1] ftp://cygwin.com/pub/cygwinx/XWin.20100916-git-df5773ea3927d9c1.exe.bz2

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer