Re: complains about the cygwin/gcc binaries

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 8:36 PM,  wrote:
> In the ROOT downloading website:
> http://root.cern.ch/drupal/content/production-versio
> n-528
> It says:
> "Note that the performance of cygwin/gcc binaries is currently very poor; we
> only pro
> vide this build as an unsupported toy. We strongly recommend to use the
> version above compiled with VC++. The ROOT team will not answer any messages
> related to problems with the win32gcc version"
>
> What's the reason of the poor performance. Is there any way to improve that?
>
> Thanks
> --Wei

In the gcc-3 era the C++ timing performance were really poor, gcc-4
solved a lot such problem.
I guess the situation is improved in the meantime but of course cygwin
is slower than an equivalent
native build as he try to replicate the UNIX/Posix enviroment in an
unfriendly MS-Windows word.

My experience porting octave says that gcc-4 is much better but I have
no idea of ROOT needs.

Regards
Marco