Re: rsh from other linux machines on the network to my cygwin machine

On 2/16/2011 6:17 PM, Srikanth Katkam wrote:
> I can do rsh/ssh onto other linux machines in the network and use
> all the resources on those machines but I cannot do the reverse, i.e., rsh
> on to my windows machine (i.e., Cygwin X server), why the other machines
> not able to see my cygwin/windows machine?
>
> This is why I am not able to run any DISPLAY required applications
> on the other linux machines (which rsh'ed on to from my cygwin/windows
> machine). The main reason is when I set the DISPLAY environment variable
> on the linux machines as my_windows_machine:0.0 it says cannot
> open DISPLAY

Your title does not appear to match the question you are asking.

If you are logged on to a linux box, and want to rsh over to your cygwin
box ... then you need to set up the rshd server on your cygwin box.  See
/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/rsh-server.README

If you are logged on to a linux box, and want to ssh over to your cygwin
box ... then you need to setup up the sshd server on your cygwin box.
See /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/openssh.README (but basically, run
/usr/bin/ssh-host-config and answer the questions).

That answers what your TITLE appears to ask.  However, the TEXT of your
question appears to ask a completely different question:

You are ssh'ing from cygwin to linux, and want to run an X application
on the linux machine, and have the display show up on your local cygwin
box -- but it's not working.

OK, FIRST you have to install and configure the cygwin Xserver, and have
it running.

SECOND, you need to be able to display X apps LOCALLY on cygwin box.
e.g. launch an xterm on the cygwin box.

THEN, from /that xterm/ on your cygwin box, do this:
	ssh -Y remote_linux_host

FINALLY, once logged on to the linux host, launch an X app.  It should work.

Read about the -Y (and -X) options...

--
Chuck