xrdb fails to update properties

I am running cygwin on a recent windows 7, 64 bit box. cygwin is completely up to date.

The problem is that xrdb when run from a cygwin bash shell will not change the resources database. I have tried all sorts of variants of the command to no avail. xrdb -query always shows nothing and my xterms behave as if no resources have been loaded.

However, should I run xrdb -merge on my linux box with the display set to my cygwin box, the resources are successfully loaded. Not only that, xrdb -query run on the windows 7 box in cygwin shows that the resources have been properly loaded.

Does anyone have a clue as to what might be going on?

Thanks
Horace