RE: Failed to activate core device - Could not invoke xkbcomp

Hello,

Yes I am aware this has been a reported problem, but nothing I have tried seems to work.? This is on a system that is NOT connected to the Internet, so direct cut-n-paste is not possible.

Physical setup - (4) Dell OptiPlex 980, each with dual monitor setup with dual switch boxes (one KVM box on each video output), DVI video output, USB mouse & keyboard input.? The "oldest" of these workstations is running an older cygwin 1.5 and it works just fine.

Cygwin/X Project
Release: 1.10.1.0
OS: Win XP SP3
Package: version 1.10.1-1 built 2011-04-22

I first experienced a problem with the download process when I ran setup and select download w/o installing.? No matter what location I selected it would go to 99%, then hit an error.? I was able to download individual sections without error so that is what I did until I had everything.

Once installed I tried to run "startx" but it throws 2 pop up windows one after another saying (1) "Failed to activate core device", (2) "Caught signal 11 (Segmentation fault) Server aborting.

Looking in the XWin.0.log shows:

  (EE) XKB: Could not invoke xkbcomp
  (EE) XKB: Couldn't compile keymap
  (EE) XKB: Failed to load keymap. Loading default keymap instead.
  (EE) XKB: Could not invoke xkbcomp
  (EE) XKB: Couldn't compile keymap
   XKB: Failed to compile keymap
   Keyboard initialization failed. This could be a missing or incorrect setup of xkeyboard-config.
   Fatal server error: Failed to activate core devices.

I then ran the following per the FAQ section:

cygcheck -c xkeyboard-config
Status - ok

/usr/bin/xkbcomp
Error:? No input file specified

cygcheck /usr/bin/xkbcomp
Returned 13 results - 1 exe, and 12 dll

ash rebaseall
Nothing seemed to change with cygwin, but most all of the files in the user directory for Exceed disappeared.
IE - \Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Hummingbird Connectivity\9.00\Exceed\....
Most of the *.kbf & *.kbt files were erased.? ??????
I was able to restore these from another copy on the system, it was just strange.

Any additional help would be great.? It looks to be related to the error when I try to run xkbcomp, but IDK.

Erin