Re: nomultiplemonitors does not work in windowed mode

On 30/06/2011 13:16, szalai endre wrote:
> Guys, I am going crazy. I have 2 monitors and I would like Cygwin-X to use only the primary. So I am using the nomultiplemonitors option like this:
> xwin.exe -nomultiplemonitors
>
> But. Cygwin has the following modes:
> (default) Windowed or rooted mode.
> This is not an option, I want to use the multiwindow mode. Otherwise I could just use VNC, using Cygwin-X for this is pointless (for me).
>
> -multiwindow
> This mode automatically sets the multiplemonitors option and it cannot be overriden from command line.

What is it that makes you think this?

For the current version of Cygwin/X this is not the case.  However, perhaps it
should be, as it doesn't work in a useful way.  You can move the X windows off
the primary monitor, but they don't get their contents drawn when you do so
(because the underlying X screen is only the size of the primary monitor)

I'm not sure if I understand what you are expecting to happen with
-multiwindow -nomultiplemonitors:  Should the X windows be forced to stay on
the primary monitor when you try to move them off it?  It might also help to
describe your use case in a bit more detail.

> -rootless
> Unusable, since I can't move to resize the windows.

You will need to run an X window manager to move, resize etc. the X windows in
this mode, as described at [1]

> -mwextwm
> This one gets frozen, so it's not really an option right now.

As bug reports go, this leaves something to be desired :-)

[1] http://x.cygwin.com/docs/ug/configure.html#configure-cygwin-x-windowing-modes

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer