Re: Failed to activate core device - Could not invoke xkbcomp

On 28/06/2011 19:08, esvenva@hotmail.com wrote:
[snip]
>    Fatal server error: Failed to activate core devices.
>

> I then ran the following per the FAQ section:
>
> cygcheck -c xkeyboard-config
> Status - ok
>
> /usr/bin/xkbcomp
> Error:  No input file specified
>
> cygcheck /usr/bin/xkbcomp
> Returned 13 results - 1 exe, and 12 dll

You seem to have skipped over where the Cygwin/X FAQ 9.16 points you at [1]

[1] http://cygwin.com/faq-nochunks.html#faq.using.bloda

> ash rebaseall
> Nothing seemed to change with cygwin, but most all of the files in the user directory for Exceed disappeared.
> IE - \Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Hummingbird Connectivity\9.00\Exceed\....
> Most of the *.kbf & *.kbt files were erased.  ??????
> I was able to restore these from another copy on the system, it was just strange.
>

> Any additional help would be great.  It looks to be related to the error when I try to run xkbcomp, but IDK.

You might like to try the recently released X server 1.10.2-1, which does
contain a workaround which is supposed to help in this situation.

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer