Re: Problem starting XWin Server

Jon TURNEY <jon.turney <at> dronecode.org.uk> writes:

> On 30/07/2011 07:10, Jan Chludzinski wrote:
> >  From within a mintty shell, I get:
> >
> > $ startxwin
> >
> > giving up.
> > startxwin:  No such file or directory (errno 2):  unable to connect to X
server
> > startxwin:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.
>
> That's odd.  I can't really understand how that can happen.  I'd suspect
that
> startxwin is failing to fork/exec Xwin successfully, possibly due to an
> application causing cygwin difficulties [1] (Unfortunately, 64-bit Windows
> itself seems to sometimes cause similar problems)
>
> Are you able to start the server directly by running 'XWin'?
>
> [1] http://cygwin.com/faq-nochunks.html#faq.using.bloda

I have same issue. I have reinstalled Cygwin 5 times. Each time I can start
XWin fine UNTIL I rebaseall or perlrebase or until I uninstall+reinstall
perl/Tk. The .log file is from the first couple times it sucessfully came up
(prior to the rebase and the errors) and nothing is written to any logfiles or
even STDERR/STDOUT except for the:
$ xinit
giving up.
xinit:  No such file or directory (errno 2):  unable to connect to X server
xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.

or
$ startxwin
giving up.
startxwin:  No such file or directory (errno 2):  unable to connect to X server
startxwin:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.

I have added the env variable CYGWIN=tty but still nothing more informative is
written to any files or terminal.

My hardware is  a HP EliteBook sitting on MS XP Pro version 2002 SP3. I have
altered the rebaseall script to actually complete, as it is failing on the
64bit dlls. ( added filter to sed to not include the specific dlls from list
creation ) I have tried this both ways in 'stock' form from repository and
altered to complete.

This is 100% reproducible. I can reproduce this every time even with fully
fresh installs of cygwin.

My goal is to get a version of Cyg X running that I can run cssh and have a
full menubar ( this is why the initial rebase and then the subsequent
reinstalls and the mucking about with the Perl/Tk stuff )

Thanks for any information in advance,

DJ