XTerm metaSendsEscape not working

Hello,

I find that adding the following:

 XTerm*vt100.metaSendsEscape: true
 XTerm*vt100.altSendsEscape: true
 XTerm*vt100.eightBitInput: false

to my .Xdefaults does not seem to change the way XTerm behaves WRT meta-key handling. It still sends 0xF7 for meta-W, for example (or the UTF-8 equivalent, depending on how I set LANG in the environment).

I've also tried this:

 XTerm*metaSendsEscape: true
 XTerm*altSendsEscape: true
 XTerm*eightBitInput: false

to no avail. However, adding lines like the following:

Meta <Key>W: string(0x1b) string("w") \n

to my XTerm*translations does the trick (though I would have to add a line like this for every key on the keyboard). The fact that this fixes it seems to be evidence that my problem really is at the XTerm level and not bash or readline or the X server or Windows key mappings or something like that.

I'm using Windows 7 64-bit.

Any ideas appreciated. Thank you.