Re: X server crash when running texworks

On 26/03/2012 21:32, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 3/26/2012 4:06 PM, Jon TURNEY wrote:
>> On 26/03/2012 20:47, Ken Brown wrote:
>>> On 3/24/2012 3:47 PM, Ken Brown wrote:
>>>
>>> One further detail for anyone trying to reproduce this:  I just tried it on a
>>> second computer, and my recipe didn't immediately produce the crash.  But I
>>> simply started trying to use texworks (loading and compiling various tex
>>> documents), and the X server crashed within a few minutes.
>>
>> Thanks very much for the detailed report.
>>
>> On the off chance this is a known issue, would you mind downloading the X
>> server symbols and getting a backtrace using the instruction on [1], before I
>> try to reproduce it.
>
> OK, the backtrace is attached.

Thanks very much.

I'm afraid I can't reproduce your issue, but looking at the backtrace and the
somewhat intermittent nature of the fault, I think perhaps this crash is
caused by a race condition which exists in the conversion of the window icon
from an X property to a Windows icon.

I've uploaded a snapshot with some fixes for that at [1], perhaps you could
try that out and see if it helps?

[1] ftp://cygwin.com/pub/cygwinx/XWin.20120328-git-ab32650607c59327.exe.bz2

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer