Re: X server crash when running texworks

On 3/28/2012 8:28 AM, Ken Brown wrote:
On 3/28/2012 7:16 AM, Jon TURNEY wrote:
On 26/03/2012 21:32, Ken Brown wrote:
On 3/26/2012 4:06 PM, Jon TURNEY wrote:
On 26/03/2012 20:47, Ken Brown wrote:
On 3/24/2012 3:47 PM, Ken Brown wrote:

One further detail for anyone trying to reproduce this: I just
tried it on a
second computer, and my recipe didn't immediately produce the
crash. But I
simply started trying to use texworks (loading and compiling
various tex
documents), and the X server crashed within a few minutes.

Thanks very much for the detailed report.

On the off chance this is a known issue, would you mind downloading
the X
server symbols and getting a backtrace using the instruction on [1],
before I
try to reproduce it.

OK, the backtrace is attached.

Thanks very much.

I'm afraid I can't reproduce your issue, but looking at the backtrace
and the
somewhat intermittent nature of the fault, I think perhaps this crash is
caused by a race condition which exists in the conversion of the
window icon
from an X property to a Windows icon.

I've uploaded a snapshot with some fixes for that at [1], perhaps you
could
try that out and see if it helps?

[1]
ftp://cygwin.com/pub/cygwinx/XWin.20120328-git-ab32650607c59327.exe.bz2

Yes, that seems to fix it. I just started texworks and compiled 6 or 7 tex documents without a crash. I've never been able to do more than 1 or 2 before.

I spoke too soon. I closed texworks and was doing other things (not even involving X to my knowledge), and the X server just crashed. I'm attaching XWin.0.log.

Ken