Re: Cannot launch ssh from X11 system tray icon

On 28 March 2012 19:14, Dirk Fassbender  wrote:
> Am 28.03.2012 12:10, schrieb Craig:
>>
>> I don't suppose anyone has any thoughts on this?
>> It's rendered Cygwin X11 unusable. :-(
>> Can any further diagnostics be enabled?
>>
>> On 23 March 2012 17:56, Craig wrote:
>>>
>>> I have two machines, a desktop and a laptop.
>>> Both are 64bit Windows 7 Enterprise installations.
>>>
>>> I (think I) configured Cygwin on both the same and they have the same
>>> identical ~/.XWinrc file.
>>> They both use the same mirror for installing and are both fully up to
>>> date.
>>>
>>> A précis of my .XWinrc looks like this:
>>>
>>> menu root {
>>> // Comments fit here, too...
>>> "Xterm" exec "xterm"
>>> "Xterm - Vulpix" exec "ssh vulpix xterm -e bash --login"
>>> }
>>>
>>> And on the desktop both work and on the laptop only the local xterm will
>>> run.
>>> Nothing appers in /var/log/<anything>
>>>
>>> So I added an entry like this:
>>>
>>> "Experiment" exec ~/experiment
>>>
>>> and ~/experiment looks like this
>>>
>>> #!/bin/bash
>>> (
>>> set -x
>>> ssh -v vulpix xterm
>>> )> ?/tmp/experiment 2>&1
>>>
>>> It still fails (i.e. does nothing) and /tmp/experiment has
>>>

>>> So can anyone tell me why I get the select / waitForMultipleObjects
>>> error?
>>>
>>> If I'm in the xterm I *can* run, I have zero problems running
>>>
>>> $ ssh vulpix xterm -e bash --login
>>

> Hello Craig,
>
> you have to use X11 Forwarding. Try

[snip]

Hi Dirk,

I am sorry I wasn't more explicit. My ssh config file enabled X11
forwarding, as you'll note

debug1: Requesting X11 forwarding with authentication spoofing.

was in my original post.

I added -Y to the ssh and still saw both the X11 debug1 line and the symptom.
Craig